Tool 4 The Man

It's what the cool kids are reading.

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Tell Me Something I Don't Already Know


"Americans get the politicians they deserve."
Adlai Stevenson

Now admittedly, Adlai is a prime example of how sour grapes have a shelf life more akin to Twinkies than sushi, but he had a knack for making a point. The same could also be said of my former profession, the news media.

One of the main marching orders in today's media landscape is to belaboring the obvious. Captured eloquently by the Onion, once again demonstrating why fake news is often more informative than what currently passes for the real thing:

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/poll_bullshit_is_most_important?utm_source=videomrss_72752

When I can look out my window and see you're lead story, you're not doing you're job. Yes, I know it's raining, but I don't need team smotherage with three reporters in different places telling me people are getting wet. Now if there's actual danger, then fine, but hyper-ventilating about routine events just shows me you're too lazy to find out what's really going on.

America gets the politicians it deserves partially as a result of the fact that we also get the media we deserve. For every article or story during this election I saw on how a presidential candidate would address a serious issue (hello health care, federal budget deficit?) I saw hundreds of granular analyses of the horse race. Don't get me wrong, I love full contact politics, but I don't give a damn about their body language during the debate or whether Hillary looks fat in that outfit.

Let me tell you as little secret about news. Content is just what they put in between the ads so they can sell them and make money. If the ratings went up when they put on a test pattern or a blank screen between the commercials, then that's what they would do.

Ever wonder why there's so much crime on local TV news?

Because it's cheap and easy to cover and has the semblance of actual news, what with the flashing lights and all. You listen to the police scanner and show up and 20 minutes later, you've got a story. Sorting through public records to find out how the government is squandering your hard earned tax dollars actually takes some heavy lifting, so the hell with that.

Demand more of your media and maybe it will improve.

"How do I do that, oh sage oracle?"

Write them. They actually do pay attention to that, believe it or not. Even better, write to their sponsors. Calling on the phone doesn't make any difference. They get some idiot unpaid intern to answer their phone who can't remember to take of his or her mittens before trying to transfer a call. Writing shows that you actually care about whatever the issue you are bitching about. The general formula is 1 letter = 100 phone calls.
I double dare you.

Or just continue to swill down the pabulum they feed you.

No comments:

 
Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com